Monday, May 23, 2011

Advice for Future Art History Students

Sorry this is late Mr. Lovell. I blame it on the senior trip and a lack of free internet connection.
Anyways, here is my advice for future art history students...
1) Take the class. It's interesting and makes you sound smart. People tend to believe your interpretations of art or architecture even if you are making stuff up. It's great.
2) Read the textbook. Sometimes I did it before class and was ahead, other times I was incredibly behind. I would advise to not get too far behind, but just read it at some time.
3) Don't put too much information on your notecards. I filled each notecard with writing and then didn't feel like re-reading what I wrote when I was studying. You need name of work, artist, where and when it's from, the period, and then include important information about that specific work. I also took notes in a notebook to summarize the different movements and write down historical information.
4) Review random sections during the year. Flip through notecards or buy a review book. My review book was from 2008, so the information about the AP test was incorrect, but the art history had not changed. It helped sum things up to aid me in distinguishing different artistic periods.

Overall, just do what Lovell tells you to do. Make notecards, study the notecards, read the textbook, come up with weird ways to remember each piece/artist. It works. Good luck.

No comments: