Friday, September 17, 2010

And so it begins...


With only 30 minutes to analyze and describe a piece of art, I have to admit that I am a little overwhelmed. As I sit staring at Clare Coyle Taylor's colored pencil piece titled "November 11, 2006," I am first attracted to the colors. Shades of blues, yellows, reds, oranges, purples, they're all there. Simplicity and madness mix to create this abstract piece. The simplicity comes from the geometric shapes that are drawn throughout. Squares, triangles, and other geometric figures that fill the paper add to a dynamic feeling.
Even though the shapes do add a simplicity, the piece is overwhelmingly energetic. There is not one place that is simply one color. A blue right color is a dark blue with light blue on top. Below that there is a parallelogram that seem to have almost every color that is featured in the piece. Coyle also adds spirit to sketch with her energetic lines that make it up.The colored pencil lines go outside of the box, making the color leap towards the viewer.
After looking at the piece for 30 minutes, hoping that some message will jump out to me, I can only grasp the happiness and energy that this sketch brings. There is something wonderfully childlike about the simple shapes and myriad of color. What Coyle had in mind upon creating this, I cannot say, but I do not think it is necessary. The abstractness speaks to each viewer differently, and for me it exudes a vibrant energy.


No comments: